Saturday, August 9, 2008

Interview with: Youth leader Olivier Forges

Name: Olivier Forges
Age
: 28

Occupation
: working at UM4P at Pax Christi
Lives in
: Antwerp


What is your Motivation for being here??

I initiated the project together with Sadaka Reut. I proposed the exchange after meeting them last year. I was impressed by their working method and energy. I wanted to strengthen both organizations and there are tons of possibilities with media especially for youth.

Why Israel and Sadaka?

We work in three different regions and Israel was one of them. And there was already some dreams to come here. It’s a popular, hot subject in Belgium. It’s very international and it’s very alive. We also have good contact with other organisation like Baladna. But we feel more linked with Sadaka because they also worked with both communities. There was more connection with our country.

What do you thing about the group and the stigmas?

I’m here for the fourth time. I felt the thing about the age that we were older than the Sadaka participants, but the youth here is indeed more experienced at the younger age. They live in the situation so they have a lot of baggage. The first day is always kind of looking but since yesterday (02/08) that the group is growing to each other. The talks with people here broaden my view. They are sexy.

What brought you to activism?

I get this question a lot but don’t know where it just happened. I was a member of a green movement. I don’t know why really. When I was twenty I became a more radical activist and became more active on different levels. As a student social work I did an internship and this way I came at Pax Christi like a bit of an accident. But now it’s my passion and don’t want to do anything else. It is very intense and pushes you to also reflect on yourself.

Why don’t you do more in Belgium?

I wanted to be more international. Something like the big things first. But the best thing is to think local, act local. I try to do this nowadays. I got my inspiration a bit from sadaka.

What do you think about Jaffa?

I love it. I grew up in the countryside but I now find it to boring that‘s why I moved to the city of Antwerp. I like the rough areas in the cities because there is more real life. In these areas you have to deal with everything. It’s the fourth time here. And you have the beach but I actually prefers the mountains.

What naughty activity do u want to do?

A gender bender party, but the changing of clothes happens at the party.

No comments: