Thursday, August 14, 2008

From Handzame to Israel from Israel to Handzame


name: Emilie Van de Walle
age: 23
lives in: Handzame (small village)
work: teacher in primary school

After this project I’ll bring a part of Israel into my classroom.
With film, photos, stories, workshops, discussions, paper news, I’ll try to let the children from 10 – 12 years feel how to live in a country in war.

At their level I’ll talk about house demolitions and gated communities.
There will be place for a talk about feelings from people who suffer. Also thoughts about the Western Wall and the silence, that I’ve felt when I was there, will take part of it.

Not only the Israelian - Palestinian conflict will be treated, but also other differences to Belgium.
A lot of things can be mentioned: 3 religions who live together, culture, food (to prepare humus, falafel or baamia), and music (write your own rapsong), theatre, games, habits, learn the hebrew alphabet…

I hope that after this, maybe a few more young people are awake to what’s happening in Israel.
Beside misery and impotence, let us especially remind words of hope

Shalom
Emilie

No comments: